WARNING: iPhone related post. If you don't have an iPhone or don't care about Apple products, close the browser and step away from the computer :-)
Below is a small list of iPhone tips and tricks I've picked up that others might find useful.
- Two finger tap to zoom out in Google map. Most people know of the 1 finger tap to zoom in on the Google map. Try it with 2 fingers and it'll reverse that process. Any two fingers would do, but I highly recommend index + middle fingers, it just works better, trust me.
- Jump to top of a web page in Safari browser. When you get to the bottom of a long web page in the browser, you can tap the top of the screen, right under the time and it'll bring you back to top of the page. I'm not aware of a way to jump to bottom of the page yet. If you do, share with moi :-)
- Don't need to type .com in Safari browser. When you're typing an URL, no need to type http://www or the .com portion. Simply enter the doman (e.g. apple) and click "Go". Of course, this only applies to .com URLs.
- Quick hover for numbers in keyboard. How do you type a number today? Click on "@123" to change to number keyboard, type a number, then click on "ABC" to change back? Say you just want to enter a number in between your alphabets? Try this trick.
Hover on "@123" and the keyboard will switch to number keyboard, don't let go of your finger, hover over to the number or symbol you want, then let go. It'll insert the number or symbol and switch you back to the alphabet keyboard.
- Caps-lock on keyboard. Double click the "up-arrow" will change the icon to blue and turn caps-lock on. Click on the "up-arrow" again to return to normal keyboard.
Update on Jan 26 2008: Thanks to @sassytazcas below. You have to go to Settings -> General -> Keyboard -> Enable Caps Lock (turn on). Then after you have it turn on, you can then double click on "up-arrow" to do cap-lock.
- Two finger zoom in Safari browser. We all know the 2 finger pinch gesture on the iPhone to zoom in/out. If you're holding the iPhone with 2 hands, you can accomplish the same gesture by holding your left thumb on the lower left corner of the screen and use your right index finger to zoom in/out easily.
- Redeem iTunes gift cards on the iPhone. With the latest v1.1.3 update, you can now redeem your iTunes gift cards right on the iPhone. Go to the iTunes music store -> "Downloads", 4th button -> "Redeem" on top left corner.
BTW, in case I've never mentioned it, that's what I do at Apple. We're your bank, holding all your iTunes gift cards and your balances :-)
- Hold the camera button and let go when you are ready to take the photo. When taking a photo with your iPhone, you can actually hold onto the camera button, move the iPhone around until you're ready. Then when you let go of the button, that's when it'll take the picture. Much easier than trying to hold the iPhone and then click the button mid-air.
- Added on Feb 07 2008.
Toggle between "Numbers" and "%" in stock application. I accidentally found this one. In the Stock application, you can tap on the "i" to configure the stock delta in "Numbers" or in "%". But instead of going there, if you simply tap on any of the existing stock's green/red area to the right of the quote, and that will toggle all between numbers and percentage. Neat, huh?